Friday, September 12, 2008

The Calm Before The Storm...

9/12/08 08:00 It’s Friday morning, and we’ve been experiencing the outer bands of Ike since yesterday. On my way to my first appointment this morning I heard the Tornado Warning on the radio, and there was already localized flooding and small scale power outages in our area.

18:00 Here are a couple pics fron Metairie, LA (a suburb of New Orleans) along Lake Pontchartrain.









21:00 Well, we've had wind and rain, but not anything major by our hotel. I saw on the news that one of the levees in Plaquemines Parish was breached. That's where I was for quite a while after Katrina.

I was on the phone with one of my applicants in the Houma area earlier today. Last night the water had crossed the raod and was in his yard. This morning it was into his house. He was "gonna grab a few things and git in m' boat and try to leave." I've worried about him so much. When I spoke to his wife she said he'd been having chest pains too (and that he was a stubborn man!)...She and I cried on the phone together.

The emotional strain on the people in this area is just tremendous. With the threat of residuals from Ike and the financial burden of mandatory evacuation expenses taking their rent and utility money it's created tremendous pressure. Please pray for all those who are affected by Gustav and Ike (and Hanna too). I've laughed with, cried with, and mourned with many of these people, and they all have a very special place in my heart.

As I watch footage from Ike's assault on the Texas coast all I can do is pray... They've issued a "certain death" warning for all the Galveston residents who decided to ride out the storm. Rescue efforts have had to be canceled due to the 110 mph winds. I pray that God spares their lives...

Our little "family" is dissolving. David left tonight. I'm leaving tomorrow for Houma. And Evelyn leaves Sunday for Baton Rouge...





More later...

No comments: